Wolverines fall to Thunder in Overtime.

Game Recap:

The Whitecourt Wolverines and Drayton Valley Thunder squared off in a North Division tilt in front of 863 fans at the Scott Safety Centre last night.

The Wolverines came out strong to start the first period getting an opportunity on the power play 1:50 in on a Thunder kneeing penalty. The Wolverines and Gianni Mangone would capitalize on the man advantage with an absolute rocket from the point to beat Marc-Olivier Daigle top shelf to take a 1-0 lead.

The early lead would only last 1:07 as a shot from Trevor Poirier would deflect off of Wolverines defenceman James Vermeulen, and just like that the Thunder would tie the game 1-1. Colten Mayor would then take a goaltender interference penalty at the 6:34 mark, sending the Thunder on their first power play of the night. It would only take Dallen Hall and the Thunder 0:10  to strike and beat Riley Corbin, who was making his second consecutive start for the Red & White.

The Wolverines would have three more consecutive power plays in the first period but, it was on the third one that the Wolverines would capitalize. Gianni Mangone would do what he does best once again recording his second goal of the night, 4th as a Wolverine and 16th of the season. That would do it for the first period as both teams went into the break tied at 2. The Wolverines would have the advantage in shots 15-6 heading into the second frame.

Both teams would split goals in the second period. The Wolverines would capitalize first, as Evan Warmington took out two Thunder players entering the zone, leaving his co-pilot Joel Herbert all alone to beat Daigle for his 13th of the season at the 14:32 mark. However, a tripping penalty that would send Tyson Helgesen to the box was all the Thunder needed to strike again on the power play, this time on a goal by Tanner Clarkson. Both teams would once again head to the locker room tied up, this time at 3.

Ryan Berlin would strike first in the third period, giving the Wolverines their third lead of the game at the 7:13 mark with his 22nd goal of the season and 45th career goal as a Wolverine.  The Thunder would answer back capitalizing on yet another power play goal at the 12:39 mark from Jamie Waddington. That would be all for regulation as the Wolverines would be headed to Overtime for just the second time at the Scott Safety Centre this season.

The Wolverines came out strong in the 3 on 3 overtime period but it was Jamie Waddington of the Thunder that was able to sneak in past the defence and beat Riley Corbin for the game winning goal and his second of the night.

The Wolverines would bring their record to 22-26-3 and finish the month of January with a record of     4-7-1.

Game Notes

Final Shots: 30 – 28 in favor of Whitecourt

Special Teams: Whitecourt went 2/6 and Drayton Valley went 3/8 on the power play.

Scratches for Whitecourt: Joseph Leonidas, Brandon Switzer & Zach Paterson.

Alone in front: With his 45th goal in two seasons Ryan Berlin passes Jerome Raymond for most goals as a Wolverine.

The Wolverines return to action next on February 6th for Family Appreciation Night, as former Wolverine Dalton Olsen returns to Whitecourt for the first and only time since being traded to the Grande Prairie Storm for Sam Lawson in November.

Game time is at 7pm.

Devin Rideout
Director of Media Operations.